Thomas C. Costello (Owner)
- Location: Towson, Maryland
- Phone: 410-832-8800
- Fax: 410-832-8807
- Email: email@example.com
Admitted to practice in 1994, Mr. Costello, an AV rated litigator, began his legal career by representing securities broker-dealers in connection with their employment disputes, customer disputes and regulatory inquiries. Based upon that experience, Tom shifted the focus of his practice to the representation of customers in connection with their claims against investment professionals.He has successfully represented hundreds of individual investors across the United States to resolve their claims.
More Than 25 Years Of Experience
Representing Clients In Baltimore And Nationwide
Tom has represented individual investors against firms like Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Wachovia, Wells Fargo, Sun Trust, CIBC Oppenheimer, Metropolitan Life, John Hancock, Charles Schwab, Ameriprise Linsco Private Ledger, Smith Barney/Citigroup and Prudential in addition to many other investment advisory firms, both large and small. He has also litigated claims against insurance, legal and tax professionals. Tom’s efforts have resulted in client recoveries well in excess of $25 million.
Tom earned a Legal Master’s Degree in Taxation (LLM) with a Certification in Estate Planning from the University of Baltimore School of Law. Tom has drafted and implemented tax efficient estate plans for high net worth individuals (assets in excess of $15 million) as well as for those individuals with more modest assets who simply want to make sure their family is provided for in the event of a tragedy. Tom is also experienced in representing estates, trusts (both trustees and trust beneficiaries) and heirs in the probate administration process as well as in estate disputes resolved through the court system.
Tom has represented hundreds of sales, medical and accounting professionals in disputes with former employees regarding the application and effect of contractual provisions regarding post-employment activities such as covenants not to compete or solicit and agreements which relate to the use and removal of customer information. Tom has litigated employment disputes in state and federal courts throughout the Mid-Atlantic region as well in arbitration forums such as FINRA, NASD, NYSE, JAMS and AAA. Tom is also experienced in resolving numerous other types of employee disputes and employment severance issues.
Areas of Practice
- Securities Litigation
- Estate Planning and Administration
- Professional Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Maryland, 1994
- District of Columbia, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1995
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland L.L.M. (Taxation) – 2009
- Washington & Lee University, Lexington, Virginia J.D. cum laude – 1994
- Major: American History B.A. – 1991
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, Member, 2008 – Present
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member, 1994 – Present
- Baltimore County Bar Association, Member
- Maryland Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2012 – Present
- American Association for Justice, Member, 2015 – Present
- Liability Issues for Financial Planners, Financial Planners Assoc. of Md., 2012
Honors and Awards
- University of Baltimore National Appellate Advocacy Team, 1994
Past Employment Positions
- West & Costello, Partner, 2003 – 2010
- West & Moore, LLC, Associate/Partner, 1999 – 2003
- Law Offices of John West, Associate, 1994 – 1999
Schedule A Free Initial Consultation
To schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced Towson lawyer, email the Costello Law Group or call our office at 410-832-8800 or toll-free at 877-418-0003.